Friday, January 2, 2015

Repainting

I know that one of my previous posts was "A New Look Into Old Stuff," in which I asserted that there is some advantages in NOT retouching old painting. But, I have done it again. Below is a painting from 2001. I kept this oil painting without any modification for some 13 years. It was unvarnished, of course. 

--
Sé que uno de mis articulos anteriores fue "Un vistazo nuevo a las cosas viejas," en el cual aseguraba que No retocar las pinturas tenía ciertas ventajas. Pero, lo he hecho una vez más. Debajo podrá ver una de mis pinturas del 2001. Mantuve este óleo inalterado durante unos 13 años. Estaba sin banizar, claro. 



Some weeks ago I felt like it was time for me to do something about it (no kidding, right?). I must finish it. So I did. How? Repainting it completely. The results might not be anything more impressive than it was before, but I felt like finishing an extra painting before finishing 2014 :) Below is the modified painting. It is no longer the artistic description of the exact particular place  as viewed form where I was standing back then, when I painted it. But it is quite close. Anyway, just to be sure, that my retouching compulsion will not hit this particular one again, I took a precaution: I varnished the painting. 

--
Hace algunas semanas atrás sentí que ya era tiempo de acabar este cuadro. Debo terminarlo, me dije. Así que lo acabé. ¿Cómo? Repintándolo por completo. El resultado no será mucho mas impresionante de lo que era antes, pero, siento como si que hubiera acabado un cuadro más este año 2014 :) Debajo coloqué un foto de la pintura acabada. Ya no es una representación artística exacta del lugar geográfico, visto desde el punto de vista original. Pero es bastante cercano. De todas maneras, para asegurarme que mi compulsion de repintar no golpee este una vez más, tomé una precaución: lo barnicé. 




Although I miss the water in the first place from the first version, the repainted version emphasizes the drama of the sky. It is also more painterly, intense in colors, and adds the human element. Yes, in case you didn't notice, that is a dog and a woman riding her bicycle. Not a rare occurrence in the Uruguayan countryside. 

--
Pese a que extraño el agua y sus reflejos, presentes en el primer plano de la primera versión, la versión repintada, enfatiza mucho mejor la vista dramática del cielo. Emplea algo de empaste, colores más intensos, y agrega el factor humano. Sí, aunque usted no lo haya notado, tiene un perro corriendo y una mujer en su bicicleta. No es una ocurrencia inusual en las afueras de la campiña uruguaya. 



No comments:

Post a Comment